Welcome to the March edition of Kidsafe’s e-news. This month we have some information on pet safety, our Post Injury Support Portal and some recent product recalls. Remember to like us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with all of the latest hints, tips and news!
The Essential Baby and Toddler Show
The Kidsafe Vic team is excited to be heading to the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Melbourne from 10-12 April. We will be handing out free resources and answering all your safety questions, so make sure you visit the Advice Hub and say hello (we’re very friendly!).
The Essential Baby and Toddler Show is popular, so make sure you jump online to grab your discounted early bird tickets!
When: 10 – 12 April from 9:30am – 4pm daily
Where: Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton
For more information and to purchase your ticket, please visit http://www.
Pets can be great companions and there are many benefits of child-animal interaction. However sometimes pets can also pose a risk to young children.
Children are at an increased risk of being injured by pets because they are naturally inquisitive and often don’t know how to safely interact with animals.
The good news is that there are a few simple things you can do to make sure your child and pet remain happy and safe!
- Separate children and pets during feeding and sleeping times (when your pet is feeding and sleeping and when your child is feeding and sleeping)
- Always supervise children around pets
- As children get older you can teach them how to safely interact with animals
For more information on pet safety check out the Responsible Pet Ownership’s ‘We Are Family’ resource via http://www.wearefamily.vic.gov.au/
Post Injury Support
When a child is seriously injured, it can be traumatic not only for the child involved, but also for parents, carers, siblings and other family members or friends.
The grief experienced by parents and carers who have lost a child due to injury is often quite different from the grief of those who have lost a child due to other circumstances (e.g. an illness), meaning that they require specialised and targeted support.
Kidsafe Victoria has developed an online Post Injury Support Portal, which links parents, carers and family/friends who have experienced an injury to a child or death of a child due to injury, to a range of information, advice and support services. Sections of the portal include:
- Links to organisations that provide counselling and grief support.
- Fact sheets about post injury feelings and coping after an injury/loss of a child due to injury.
- Fact sheets about how to support someone who has experienced a child injury or death.
- Shared stories and experiences from parents and families that have experienced an injury to a child/loss of a child due to injury.
- Information on what to do in the event of an injury (e.g. First Aid and what to expect when calling emergency services),
- Research and;
- Links to online support groups and forums.
To access our portal, or to share your stories, please visit http://kidsafevic.com.au/post-injury-support
Peter Morrissey Baby Girls Gold Heart Applique Long Sleeve Top
The press stud may become loose and detach from the top, creating a potential choking hazard. Customers should immediately cease use of the top and return it to any Big W store for a full refund. For more information, please visit http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1069070
SlumberTrek Australia Pty Ltd—Flashlight supplied in Kids Explorer Packs Sold at BIG W Stores
The battery terminals of the flashlight could short circuit. This means that the batteries may overheat and burn consumers. Consumers should stop using the torch immediately and contact SlumberTrek for a refund. For more information please visit http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1069086