KIDSAFE has developed a community awareness program specifically for Local Government. The program is designed to protect children from being left in hot cars, risking death or serious brain injury.
The KIDSAFE ‘Do Not Leave Children in Cars’ Local Government program provides councils with a complete package to implement an awareness campaign through local media, Mayoral Columns, social media and council websites, as well as directly to local Maternal and Child Health Centres and Early Childhood services.
WHAT TO DO:
- Purchase Kidsafe’s ‘Do Not Leave Children in Cars’ signs for $70 each or $60 each for orders of 10 or more.
- Stage a media launch in your LGA by placing the first sign in local car park at a playground, park, maternal and child health centre, early childhood service, shopping strip or near a school.
- Issue a media release from the Mayor with a photo of the signs; orders of 10 or more signs will receive a media release for use (alternatively, information and statistics from Kidsafe Victoria’s ‘Hot Cars’ fact sheet can also be used as a basis for a media release).
- Link to Kidsafe Victoria’s free ‘Hot Cars’ fact sheet from your council website so that community members can find out more (http://www.kidsafevic.com.au/images/stories/pdfs/hotcars.pdf).
- Promote the campaign and its messages through local Maternal and Child Health Centres, Early Childhood services and other Local Government avenues.
Orders of 10 or more signs will receive further materials including newsletter inserts and content for websites and social media sites.